Monday, August 13, 2007

Oakville Clinic -- trying Sarah's Racewalking technique

QUOTE OF THE DAY


"Pain. Love it, hate it, get angry at it. Breath it with every breath, feel it with every step and use it. It lets you know you are still alive, more alive than most people will be in their whole lives."

- Strauss
Today the plan was simply to have either a rest day or just a relaxing recovery walk --- instead, I went out early this morning and got into it quickly after a brief warmup and before I knew it I had done a 15.1k tempo workout and dare I say it I did what I now call 7&3's -- I went hard walking for 7 minutes and then ran for 3 minutes -- I am hoping this will help my endurance and overall speed particularly for Japan --- I found a couple of interesting things doing this -- each subsequent walking interval I was faster and because of the running I had to focus more on my breathing when I was walking to make sure I was getting enough oxygen in for the next run -- hence, my breathing for the walking was better, deeper, pushing the diaphragm and therefore I had more oxygen for my walking intervals -- I guess that is why I was faster each time -- I will never be a runner but it sure helps my cardio as a cross trainer.
I have been reading Dave McGovern's Marathon Walking book this weekend -- it is interesting that he says we need to prioritize our other than walking training - he says if you are doing other things to supplement you walking training that you should do them in this order -1)Stretching 2)CORE 3)X train and 4)weight training.
If anyone from my clinics reads this -- now you know I am not the only evil one who stresses core......
The book is a great read ---interesting that Boston allows 50 racewalkers per year by invitation only - you must have a certified time fo uner 5 hours to qualify for an invitation.- HMMMMMM!!

No comments: