Thursday, August 09, 2007

Suwa Ko - Nagano Prefecture - Japan

QUOTE OF THE DAY
"There is the truth about the marathon and very few of you have written the truth. Even if I explain to you, you'll never understand it, you're outside of it."
Douglas Wakiihuri speaking to journalists
As you can tell from the picture my mental focus has certainly become the Half Marthon in Japan on October 28th - booked the flights and hotel this week and my step - son has registered to run the race as well -- what a psychological boost that is for me. My training away from clinics has become more creative and intense and will remain so until the race.
I was reading in Dave McGovern's book "Marathon Walking" that less than .1% of the population of North America will attempt a marathon let alone finish it.....I guess that puts us if famed and elite company for sure.
I can not believe it has been over a week since I have made an entry in this blog - it has been a hectic week...20k with my Rosedale group on Saturday, 24.5 with my Oakville group on Sunday and my own training Monday and Tuesday, back to work Tuesday and Clinics Wednesday and Thursday nights --- just a little over the edge.....Clinic nights have been Hill + core repeats X6 and tonight I have devised a rather devilish workout combining hills, stairs, Mexican 200's and core repeats -- all X3................short in time, long in intensity. And with Sarah, my Racewalker friend, as our guest speaker I am sure the motivation will be high for the workout...
I am spending some time considering my options and where to take all of this I have learned -- the plan is slowly taking shape and I hope to unveil it all in the near future - stay tuned

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Sure wish I could attend your workouts. They sound awesome, and what camaraderie!

Unknown said...

Yep, Tammy, that workout was tough, but fun. It wasn't just going up and down a hill, you actually got to put some flat speed work in to it as well. And the core work is an added benefit that will pay off for the athletes in the end. I don't think I would have enjoyed the workout on my own, but doing it with a group was a lot of fun.