Friday, October 05, 2007

TRY FOR A PERSONAL BEST

QUOTE OF THE DAY


"Don't allow anyone to tell you what you can and cannot do. Be tough, be stubborn, love yourself, and find friends who believe in you. Recognize your victories."

- Joan Benoit Samuelson
Only three weeks till race weekend in Japan -- am I getting a little excited -- Just a LITTLE!! - I am hoping and praying that my preparation is on the mark and I will peak when I want to in Japan -- not before or after -- It has all been about this race and setting a Personal Best when I am there............exciting news though -- as I mentioned before my step-son is running the race and will pace me the first half but a friend from Japan who is also a runner has stepped up and offered to pace me the last half -- he very humorously said he hoped he could keep up!!! Yeah, right!! I have never worked with a pacer before so this will be an interesting experience....
My virtual friend Stephen -- "GOOD LUCK IN PORTLAND STEPHEN -- JUST DO 'ER!!" ---asked me what a Personal Best Walking clinic is as I had mentioned it in my last post....Well, simply put -- through motivation, inspiration and perspiration I hope to boldly take people where no-one has gone before -- to take their already amazing walking performances and make them better --- faster, stronger and more complete............using a variety of training techniques and drills -- some of which I have talked about in previous posts ---- as well as a personal trainer friend who will set up individual programs to be used away from the clinic ---- racewalking instruction from folks like my friend Sarah and some of her co-horts I hope!! --- and a ton of core, core , core exercises and oh, did I mention Cross-training -- lots of cycling when they have a chance---- and that is just in the first week(LOL).
The cold seems to be finally going away -- Yesterday a 5k tempo and 15k bike and today a 6k tempo and 15k bike -- the plan is to do my last long distance next Sunday at speed to see where I am and what kind of mental prep I need to reach my goal....this Sunday I will try to get a decent distance at speed in with my Oakville group...........Oct 20th is a final goodbye to the Rosedale group with a morning walk and lunch BBQ -- a great send off for Japan...
Stephen --- I am with you in Portland in spirit -- that little guy on your shoulder saying you can do it --- well that's me!!!!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Allan - your plans sound great to finish up your training. I have no doubt you will beat my PR for the half! I hope you get your 2:19:16! Know that we are all going to be cheering you on as you race. When you get tired, think of us standing there clapping for you and yelling "GO ALLAN GO!!!!!".