Tuesday, February 13, 2007


QUOTE OF THE DAY

"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves...The more restricted our society and work become, the more necessary it will be to find some outlet for this craving for freedom. No one can say, 'You must not run faster than this, or hump higher than that.' The human spirit is indomitable."
Sir Roger Bannister

How long ago did Roger Bannister break the 4 minute mile -- and yet, this quote is so appropriate in today's break-neck paced world. When I saw this quote, I thought of my virtual friend Bryan K who has experienced some difficulties in his work world in the last week - strangely enough so have I --- and without the outlet of my walking I would have probably lapsed into some sort of depression and got into that "give up" mode -- and Bryan probably found the same with his running. A friend of mine at work told me to focus on the work problems and deal with them with the same determination and focus as my workouts and racing. Face them all with a positive attitude and never quit -- as I have said before "The pain of finishing is nothing compared to the emptiness of quitting" Keep the faith Bryan.
Tried the local city rec center gym this morning and quite like it - got in about 10k on the treadmill, some core work and some biking. Was too cold to do the outdoor stuff this am and with the coming storm I wimped out and decided to head in doors.

No comments: