Tuesday, June 19, 2007


QUOTE OF THE DAY
"In order to excel, you must be completely dedicated to your chosen sport. You must also be prepared to work hard and be willing to accept constructive criticism. Without a total 100 percent dedication, you won't be able to do this."
Willie Mays
Now this is totally amazing - as a result of the my article in the Running Room Magazine, I have been approached by a gentleman who has OA in his knees and would like to learn to power/race walk. He is aware that I have had full knee replacement and that i compete almost pain free - in my knees anyway!! What is so amazing about that you ask -- this gentleman is in his 60's as is his wife - they are both ironman triathletes and between them they have done 30 - yup, count em - 30 ironman triathlons AND he ran "THE" Boston Marathon in the 80's......He cannot run now and has to pull out of competitions after the Bike section - for example this last weekend he was leading finishing the bike and because he can't run any more he pulled out..... He was excited by my marathon times and hopes he can work with me and walk the marathon portion of the triathlons.....Man what a thrill to work with someone like this -- do you think I am pumped and motivated by this --SURE AM!!!!! Talk about and Inspiration that will carry me through - this is it.
Had a great workout at the gym yesterday --- concentrated on core strengthening circuits plus 20k on the bike and another 9k in hill/speed intervals on the treadmill - I really enjoy the periodic treadmill workout - I can change it up so much during the workout - gives me a little more flexibility than I have on the road --- elevation wise that is --- and no traffic..... Next gym workout will probably be Saturday and I will do the same buy replace the bike with the rowing machine - as I have mentioned before most of the information I have found leads me to believe that the rowing machine is the best X-trainer for out sport as it mimics a lot of the movement we use - really helps the core, particularly the hips as well as arms. shoulders, legs, upper abs, lower abs - what is there not to like about a machine like that -- hard work, for sure -- but "the harder you train, the easier you race"(quote source - Me).
Today, is my lunch clinic I instruct for my work place and then an afternoon nap before I do 10k tonight.
Have a great day everyone........

No comments: