Friday, June 15, 2007


QUOTE OF THE DAY
"Mental toughness is a description of how well an athlete prepares for the mental and physical challenges of their sport. I think everyone has the innate ability to be mentally tough, what counts is whether one has the desire to explore that to the best of their physical abilities."
Bill Rodgers, 4-time Boston and NYC Marathon Champion
Wow, am I ever slow today -- start the post at 6am and finish it at 7pm -- a long day. Have been suffering from allergies terribly over the last couple of days so when I got home from work at 1pm, I just crashed and slept for 5 hours. It has been a tiring week and I needed the rest. I will go out in a little while to do a very relaxed 6k before doing a easy 10-12k tomorrow morning with my Oakville clinic. I have a 5k race on Sunday in Oakville - th OTMH father's Day 5k -- some amazingly fast racers at this one - last year I was 3rd in the open Men's division and I am probably looking around that again even though my most recent 5k time in December was 3 minutes quicker that last years Oakville 5k time....Hans and Darryl are fast and I am humbled to be able to race with them. When I grow up I want to be just like Hans(LOL)!!!!
Julie(thats her in the picture from a previous clinic) talked in the clinic last night - a great story - from being told she would never run again as she had the knees of a much much older person and she was essentially a pre-teen when she was told this(if I can do the math properly) to doing ironwoman triathalons is an inspiring story....She is another one of my heroes -- three keys-- GOALS/VISUALIZATION?NUTRITION......................Make sure you post your goals publicly,visably where you can see them every day and of course Nutrition( go on Julie's link on my blog--"Julie Boyer - Ironwoman" -- a nutritional analysis on line will help you and go from there -- contact her, talk to her - you won't regret it.....Every walk - every training session - visualize crossing that line at Vegas, Honolulu, Rome, Athens - wherever it is that you want to be -- when you get there it won't be a surprise!! Me, I visualize crossing the line at the Toronto Marathon this year - and the Race Clock clearly says 4:59:31 - why the 31 I don't know but that's the dream -- the other visualization is crossing the finish line at Suwako Half Marathon in Japan in October and the clock saying 2:19:31----there's that 31 again --- those are my two prime goals this year and that is what pushes me to" train hard to race easy"
The clinic is growing - over 20 with 5 new registrants since last week.........I think this is awesome growth for a distance walking clinic.......Our sport is growing!!!!!!!!!

No comments: