Sunday, July 15, 2007

Brampton Run.Walk for the Rose Half Marathon

QUOTE OF THE DAY
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."
Lance Armstrong
I was hurting today, it was my first race of any distance since my injury in May at the Mississauga Marathon. I felt my conditioning was off - so it was a learning experience - more X-training, hill training, and intervals to come - have two weeks before the next half marathon - hopefully I can prepare a little better for it.
I went out of the gate very quick, by 6k the Marshall's said I had a 1km lead and it became very hard to maintain my pace as I was totally on my own --- I didn't even see the first runner, who started 30 minutes after us, until around 14/15k. I was not real happy with the time but it was only a couple of minutes off my personal best and the goal race to break my PB is Japan in October..... I finished in 2:26:17 and was 1st overall open division -- got a great plaque, a $100 gift certificate and some roses. So all in all a great day, perfect weather, a great venue and a terrifically run race. Did the intro to walkers - specified rules etc. and still people broke them but those that did were DQ'd by the race director -- good on him for having the courage to do so.


2 comments:

Tammy said...

Congratulations, Allan!!!

Great race. You will get your PB in Japan - you have been working so hard for it. Sorry you were a bit disappointed with this one, but it sounds like you did very well considering the conditions.

Wow, $100 gift cert?!?! That's great! I wish the races around here were so walker-friendly. That is great that the race director was watching for people breaking the rules.

Unknown said...

Wow, that's a really nice medal, and a plaque too! And that's a lot of groceries you can buy! Congratulations again!