Tuesday, January 30, 2007

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"I GREW UP WITH AN AMBITION AND DETERMINATION WITHOUT WHICH I WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD DEAL HAPPIER. I THOUGHT ALOT AND DEVELOPED THE FAR AWAY LOOK OF A DREAMER, FOR IT WAS THE DISTANT HEIGHTS WHICH FASCINATED ME AND DREW ME TO THEM IN SPIRIT. I WAS NOT SURE WHAT COULD BE ACCOMPLISHED BY MEANS OF TENACITY AND LITTLE ELSE, BUT THE TARGET WAS SET HIGH AND EACH REBUFF SAW ME MORE DETERMINED TO SEE AT LEAST ONE MAJOR DREAM THROUGH TO ITS FULFILLMENT"
Earl Denman - prior to ascending Mount Everest.

I am sure alot of us can identify with this quote in one manner or another -- we all have our own Mount Everest -- whether it be completing a triathlon, a 5k or a marathon. Once we see one major dream through to its fulfillment we often set a new series of goals to another major dream. Remember "goals are bridges to our dreams." Well, when I got started in this one year ago my dream was to complete the Las Vegas Marathon by year's end --having accomplished that it has taken me some time to establish a new Dream -- that is, now, to complete the ATHENS MARATHON in 2008 -- the home, the origin of the marathon -- what a high that would be. So now to look into either "Joints in Motion" or Team Diabetes -- as some of you know I did my first marathon on Dec 10 and I picked that date as it would have been my father's birthday if he had still been alive. Well his passing was not caused by but certainly hastened by late onset Diabetes -- so I guess a natural progression would be to join Team Diabetes and identify my dad as the "hero" that I am walking for.
Any way the training - had an awesome morning on Sunday with my clinic/club walk. We did about 15k - a little brisk it was but everyone is layering well - and the Vaseline on the face is working great too. One of our walkers - Karen - improved her time over 13.5k by 11 minutes - an awesome accomplishment. Everyone is progressing incredibly well -- Look out Chili Half - "The A Team" is coming!!!!
An off day yesterday - some stressful stuff at work that affected me mentally but
I was able to head to the gym early this morning and get 16 hard ks in on the treadmill and also some core work as well. Turned the negative energy from work into positive energy in the gym and had an awesome workout. Another pair of shoes hit the 1000km mark this morning - love those Mizuno Wave Creation 7's - guess I will have to ask the purveyor of birthday gifts to get me a new pair.
Have a good day everyone - WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR DREAM - DO YOU HAVE ONE??

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! Athens! How cool is that? What an amazing place to do a marathon. I'm extremely jealous!