Monday, January 22, 2007

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Robert Townsend: "If you shoot for the stars and hit the moon, it's OK. But you've got to shoot for something. A lot of people don't even shoot."

Herschel Walker: "If you train hard, you'll not only be hard, you'll be hard to beat."

I know one of my virtual friends will be glad to hear I didn't wimp out this weekend -- I was a true Canadian as he would say ---- and trained outdoors both days. Some members of my clinic and I got together on Saturday(Glenn, Lin and Rita) and we did about 14km. Lin is nursing an injury and did about 5km and did the right thing in listening to her body and just doing what she could. Sunday morning, the clinic got together for the club walk in Oakville and the marathon group did about 14km as well. They are a great group and are doing so well.
Training in the cold weather has its challenges -- but they can be overcome simply by dressing properly and layering--I found a good way to keep your face warm - for those who don't want to wear any scarves etc -- that is, to put vaseline on your face and believe me it works --- I had no issues with the cold at all.
Then to the gym this morning to do my core/upper work plus did 12km hill/endurance -- this was a great workout and I felt really energized after a great 3 days of workouts.
On the other side of the coin, I am having some issues with doing the two clinics together -- the in store work and instruction is no a problem however once we get outside there is an issues. Due to the fact they have differing distance requirements it is difficult to work and give full attention to both groups - my main focus is my original group - the marathoners - and getting them ready for the Chili Half and the Mississauga Marathon -- a number of people are doing the clinic with the expectation that I can get them ready -- thus the interval work and hill work which is so critical has to be modified to incorporate both groups. My marathon group is a pretty dedicated and focused group -- they are not just concerned with finishing the marathon and the chili half -- they are focused on finishing well which puts a whole new set of parameters on the clinic. The half marathon group is an awesome group of people as well -- with the exception of a couple of people, finishing is the primary focus. Thus my quandary -- training for finishing well and finishing is very different - the former being much more intense. I am going to ask Paul at the Running Room if we can ask someone to take responsibility to lead the group in the outside roadwork -- and maybe invite those that want more intense training to join the sessions with the Marathon Group.
Any suggestions anyone---I just don't want to disappoint anyone!!

No comments: